Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tough Decisions

I hate hate hate having to make tough decisions when it involves Midget. I am not averse to making tough decisions normally, yes I consider them carefully but once Mel and I make the decision I am fine with it. With Midget it is so different. I agonize over them.

Case in point is gymnastics. We have been going to the same gym for the last 2 years and it has been a home away from home for us. The owner and coaches have instilled a deep love and desire for this sport in my daughter and I am forever grateful to them for it. When she made the team she was given a choice to do gym or dance, and since then she has not looked back once. That was a good decision.

But now we have decided to pull her from that gym and move her elsewhere.

And I hate it.

We love the owner, we love the coaches. We trust them. We know that we can leave Midget with them and everything will be fine. We felt like part of the family. And to go with that we know that there is no such thing as the perfect gym. So what is the problem?

Consistency.

While each of the coaches is wonderful, ok, most are. There is little consistency between them. Midget was once taught the same skill over 3 days by 3 coaches in 3 ways. She was getting confused. She was getting upset. And so was I.
I think it would have helped had there been a clear leader among the coaches, an actual head coach. One that made sure everyone was consistent and really ran the team. But we didn’t have that.

So we are moving to a new gym. In fact today is the last day at the old gym. The owner knows we are leaving and I don’t think there are hard feelings. I hope not anyway. Based on what Mel told me I believe the door is still open if we end up hating the new gym. I am glad about that. I am really really glad about that. I feel like we have a safety net.

But I am still agonizing over this. The owner indicated to Mel that she will be putting a coach in charge of each level. Which, as I mentioned above, is the major problem that we feel needed addressing.



I think we are making the right decision, but I can’t help but agonize over it.

1 comment:

Runesun said...

That sounds rough man. I'm sure it will end up working out.