Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bad run

You know the saying, "Even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work?" Well I am struggling to decide if that applies to running.

Yesterday I ran what is W9D2 (Week 9 Day 2) of the C25K plan. Basically it is running 30 minutes straight. I know I can do it as I already have once, Mondays run was awesome, and so I had no concerns about it. Maybe I should have.

It was like the perfect storm of bad juju. The night before I was up very late. I woke up late and didn't have my normal amount of pre-run preparation, I like to get up and drink about 16 to 20 ounces of water and then relax for 15 minutes or so before I run, as I gulped down water and then went out the door to run. I ended up struggling because I drank a bunch right before hand as well as then ended up dry as can be because I didn't get enough water into my system. All this came together to slam my energy to the basement.

I actually did my first lap (1.25 miles) only about 30 seconds off my normal pace, but the 2nd lap was agony. In fact I was really ready to come in after the first lap, but Mel and Bella were there and I felt compelled to keep pushing on rather than face them after quitting. That 2nd lap I was off pace by about 3 minutes plus. I was running so slow and still struggling to put one foot in front of the other. But I made it, dreary, limp, and in massive pain. I looked like the last guy crossing the finish line at a marathon. It was awful.

And then later that day I ended up sick and went home and slept from about 4:30 in the afternoon until this morning. Still not 100%, which is why I skipped my run this morning, and if I did not have so much I needed to do today I would have stayed home.

But I did run yesterday. Even if it sucked. So maybe that is better than not running.

No comments: