Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why Running From Couches?

So recently, June 30th recently, I decided to get my overly padded rear end up off the couch and get into shape. My chosen method for this was running. I had previously come across the Couch to 5K (C25K) program and had even recommended it to others. But my following of it myself was pretty much non-existent. But this time was going to be different, and so far has been.

I just completed Week 5, day 2 (W5D2) and it went so great! I ran for 8 minutes, walked for 5, and then ran for 8 more! And I made it! I lived! I actually did it!

I do have to say that what I call running is more like a shuffle. Or maybe a fast walk with a little bounce to it. As I commented the other day on a forum thread of other newbie runners I am pretty sure an anemic turtle passed me as I was running. But I am not stopping at all, I am really enjoying this and for someone that used to live by the motto, "I only run when chased" this is a huge thing.

I have plans to keep working through it. I already know the program I will use after C25K, and even the marathon training program I want to use after that. Did I just say marathon? Durn straight, Disney Marathon 2011 is my goal, I will at least run the half but hope to do the full.

I also want to add road biking and eventually maybe triathlons to the mix.

But anyway, Running From Couches. We came up with the name for our support group on the Cool Running forums because of the Couch to 5K thing. The couch is bad, must get away from it. We created a Facebook Group with the Running From Couches, and as I tried to pick my Blog name it just seemed the right one to use as well. So there you have it. The story behind the name.

2 comments:

E said...

Great blog Andrew!!

LOVE your goal of running the disney marathon in 2011!!! Awesome! I'm sure you'll be able to do it!

Andi said...

Andy, I'm really impressed! How did you get motivated? I realize I have to wait until nugget Jr. is born, but I'm eager to get back in shape, and running seems like a great way. Sorry you couldn't come visit with the girls, hope to see you soon!