Thursday, August 13, 2009

Badges of Honor, Gymnastics style

I think it should come as no surprise to find that I am extremely proud of the Midget. She has had me wrapped around her little finger since before she was born. I have proof right there on the ultrasound. And she really is a great kid. Last year in Kindergarten she was the only one to not get a single time out, for the whole year! Not to say she doesn't ever get cranky at home or anything, because then it would be like Stepford Child, but she is just really sweet.

I look forward to this year's competitions because I think she is going to do awesome, but at the same time she does not seem quite as intensely focused as she was last year. Don't get me wrong though, I think this is a good thing. Last year she got so upset when she didn't win and was all apologetic about it to us and to her coach. This year I think she is better able to take it in stride.

But I digress.

What I really want to discuss is how she approaches getting hurt.

You see at home if she stubs her toe on a teddy bear she is as likely to play it up as the worst injury since Joe Theismann's leg having its ill-fated meeting with LT as she is to act like it was nothing. Kids a great actress BTW.

But the gym is different. She wipes out on the beam, with its corresponding 4 foot fall, and she hops up and jumps back on. Even when it really hurts she tends to shake it off pretty quickly. And if she gets a 'beam burn,' think rug burn or friction burn, she considers it to be something to proud of.

Last week we added something new. She got a 'rip' on bars. It is a friction blister on her palm from doing the various circles and such. And because she got a 'rip' now she gets to have 'grips.' These are protective gloves that attach at the wrist and then go over her middle and ring fingers to provide protection to her palm. To a girl in gymnastics this is HUGE! It is a rite of passage for these girls as important as getting their backhandspring.

But it really cracks me up. This little girl that needs to put bandaids on bruises she gets around the house never wants to cover her 'beam burns.' She came running over to show me her 'rip' as soon as I walked in the house and would never think of covering it.

Gymnastics Badges of Honor are not always medals and trophies, they are also bruises, knots, rips, and cuts.

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective.

No comments: